Thursday, June 1, 2017

Guangzhou Mian Shi Wanton mee (廣州麵食) - Best Wanton mee in Singapore I've had for supper!

If you ask me to recommend a good wanton noodle dish in Singapore for supper, my reply to you would Guang Zhou Mian Shi Wanton Noodle. Located on the old estate of Tanglin Halt, this outstanding stall operates from early evening all the way till late midnight, making it as one of the popular supper places for anyone.
Best Wanton mee in Singapore Tanglin halt

Best Wanton mee in Singapore Tanglin halt

Best Wanton mee in Singapore Tanglin halt

This $3.50 portion has a generous amount of char siew, together with green chilli and sambal chilli, and not forgetting a (small) bowl of wanton soup. I have chosen the dry wanton noodle, and I feel that it is not too dry as it contained some gravy at the base to make it moist. Unlike other wanton noodles, the noodle contained a balanced moisture that is not too flavourful from the sauce, yet it is not too dry! I can totally feel each springy noodle strand, making me nod my head with every bite I take. It is also worth mentioning that the noodle is tasty as a whole, as it has completely absorbed the flavour from the sambal chilli and the gravy! 

The Char Siew meat is a little dry and not as sweet in taste. The stall owner uses lean meat for the char siew, which tasted like the old school type of Char Siew. As compared to other wanton mee stalls I have come across, I was quite disappointed by the taste and I certainly feel that the Char Siew meat can be further improved as it was a bit bland, and it was such a waste for a nice dish like this.
Best Wanton mee in Singapore Tanglin halt

Each plate of the wanton mee came with a bowl of wanton soup, which I feel it has made up for the disappointment of the Char Siew meat. There were 5 pieces of wanton dumplings given in a small bowl of soup! The wanton dumplings were simply outstanding as you can taste the freshness of the pork and crunchiness of the chestnut inside, building on a good sweetness taste from the soup. We can taste ginger in the soup, a taste similar to drinking fish soup. The skin used to make wanton is not thick at all as well. 
Best Wanton mee in Singapore Tanglin halt

It is definitely one of my favourite wanton noodle stalls in Singapore, and I totally have to comment on its outstanding noodle texture & the wanton dumplings! t is definitely worth the price to even go for the larger portion for the generous amount of ingredients that stall owner gives. It would be better if the stall owner can work on the texture and taste of the charsiew meat, which I think it will definitely be a plus point for this stall.

No comments:

Post a Comment