Thursday, August 3, 2017

Guan Kee Fried Carrot Cake 源记正宗菜头粿 - Black or White? Doesn't matter as long Uncle frying it.

Bugis fried carrot cake? Definitely, any locals will tell you this is the stall to come for, but be prepared to queue for at least half an hour.
One fine afternoon when I walked passed this stall and there was no queue! So decided to try them to see if it was really that great. To my disappointment, I would rate it average at best, so much for a queue?! But next thought came to my mind "Is that why there was no queue?"

So I came back later and saw a long queue! And I looked, it was an old spectacled uncle frying the carrot cake, so I have decided to trust the queue and ordered it again. It was satisfying!
SGfoodfeed long queue best food

SGfoodfeed long queue best food
As this market is much of a more touristy place, and the aunty was not very good at explaining to the customers what's available, they have decided to make a simple yet clear menu. You could choose between the white (salty) or black (sweet) or half portion of each if you could not decide which to have.
SGfoodfeed long queue best food
After I took a bite, I could totally understand why the long queue. The Carrot Cake was softer and smoother, the carrot cake haven crispy edge wok hei sesame oil and fish sauce on every bite. Love that it's not too broken up with generous chunks of egg and preserved turnip aka chai po. 


What really makes their carrot cake good is the uncle with his skill and years of experience manning the flames. 
SGfoodfeed long queue best food
Be sure to only patronize them when you see spectacled uncle frying them, or when you do see a long queue. 
I'm sure to visit them again for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment