Saturday, August 5, 2017

Loong Fatt Cake 龍發蛋糕 - Not Only famous for Tau Sar Piah!

My friend recommended me to also try their cakes after I have posted Loong Fatt Tau Sar Piah 龍發豆沙饼 post some time back. So here I am at this place again but this time, not only did I queued for their Tau Sar Piah, I also went to try their cake as well!

My previous review on Tau Sar Piah can be found here.
Balestier Central best cheap nice must try
For your information, if you are not buying any Tau Sar Piah,  you do not need to follow the usual queue you will see when you enter the store. However, we queued up once again for their Tau Sar Piah because we simply can't resist the fragrance from the smell of the buttery crust.

The cakes on their display were very traditional looking, just like their Tau Sar Piah. It is similar to putting butter cake into a paper cup, just like how you would see it being displayed in a traditional nostalgic bakery shop when you were young. As there were quite a number of cakes to choose from, we decided to just get a few as we still have our Tau Sar Piah. 

We bought 2 types of paper cup cake - one topped with Almonds and the other topped with chocolate rice. The cake used is the same - it's only the topping that makes the difference.

The texture was soft, and it was light yet not crumbly when I took my first bite. The cake was considered dense yet the texture is smooth to the mouth. It was very well blended with eggs and a lot of butter, which we realized Loong Fatt emphasized a lot on the amount of butter used. A very good after meal snacks.
Balestier Central best cheap nice must try
They only make these cakes limited each day, so do visit them before lunch hour ends to avoid disappointment. 
Balestier Central best cheap nice must try
A "good" butter cake should be flavorful, yet not overly sweet, and somewhat dense in texture, keeping the moisture in the cake. The butter cake that I've tried was somewhat similar to this. This is a perfect match with a cup of morning coffee or tea.
Balestier Central best cheap nice must try
Other than traditional cakes, Loong Fatt sells cream puffs too! Cream Puff is one of my favorite snacks when I was young, and when I took the first bite on the cream puff, my childhood memories immediately returned. The cream used was light and slightly towards a sweeter side, unlike the usual cream puff you would taste from the departmental store. It is not easy to find the same old taste as I can't really find them anymore (many traditional bakeries sell cream puff from factories). 
Balestier Central best cheap nice must try
As you can see from the picture, the cream has a beautiful golden color, with its soft exterior filled with the cream which has a hinge of corn mixed with butter and egg. It was indeed a pleasant one mouth per piece snack.

Loong Fatt is indeed one of the places you have to visit to find back your childhood memory. Using the most traditional method to prepare their cakes and Tau Sar Piah, it is definitely a thumb up from me. What also impressed me was the sincerity from every worker to their lady boss-- they are always seen smiling to every customer despite their good business and the continuous long queue. This is definitely a shop that I will be sure to come back for more in future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment